Saturday, March 21, 2015

Jodhpur Tangas - revisited


I did this painting way back in 2010. The subject was very good, interesting forms, shapes, nice light and shadows and of course, the colors. So I painted it. The result, however, was not as good as I had expected. Something was not correct.  I just kept it with my not so good paintings ( Yes, there are quite a few! )
Now, after more than 4 years while I was trying to organize my paintings, sorting them as which ones to keep and the ones to throw away (I did throw away some), I took out this particular painting and immediately knew why it hadn’t worked. The problem – ‘Values’. (Over time, the experience you gain really helps)The tonal values just needed to be darkened a little so I mixed a wash to glaze over the lighter areas and voila…it worked! I started liking it :)
Do you like it? It’ll be good to know.

Cheers

Before


After
'Jodhpur Tangas'
Watercolor on handmade paper
11 x 15 inches

2 comments:

  1. Aw, this was an extremely good post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to make a superb article…
    Sherwood Park Hotels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this ! - great to see before and after photos of turning a good painting into an excellent one :)

    ReplyDelete